There are many people make mistakes when checking the speed of wifi at home or work, resulting in the purchase of a modem or router faulty, not weak wifi transmitting quality, so what are the mistakes doing that? Let’s keep track of the 5 mistakes that we often make when testing the wifi broadcast speed.
Sometimes you will face Wifi connection error suddenly slowed down without clear the reason. In this case, the solution to confirm if there is a problem with Wifi is to check the speed of the Wifi network.
However, sometimes during the process of checking the Wifi speed, users often make mistakes that lead to error results. The following article Taimienphi.vn will introduce you 5 mistakes when checking Wifi speed to avoid.
1. Check Wifi speed
There are 3 core tests that you can perform to test the speed of Wifi connection, including the download speed test, upload speed and ping test.
– Ping test: this test relates to network latency. Latency is the amount of time it takes a data packet to pass from one computer to another over the network.
– Download test (download speed): check how fast the content of Internet content is downloaded to your computer, including video streaming time on your computer or downloading time of files.
– Upload test (upload speed): check to see how long it takes to transfer files or content from your computer to the Internet.
Speed in all download and upload speed tests is given in megabits per second (Mbps), and ping times are in milliseconds (ms).
2. Wifi online speed testing tool
On the market today there are many online speed testing services that can run right on the web browser, such as:
– Speedtest.net: The service provided by Ookla, allows users to perform a parallel flow test to return the correct result rate or a unique connection level to simulate the process of downloading large files.
– AT&T Speed Test: AT&T provides an online speed testing service right in the browser, allowing users to check upload and download speeds between a computer and the Internet.
– SpeedOf.Me: This Wifi speed testing service offers a more interesting interface than other online tools and services.
– TestMy.net: The service offers 3 separate tests to check upload and download speeds, and automatic speed test to check Wifi speed over a period of time.
– Fast.com: If you want to experience the easiest online WiFi speed test, you can visit Fast.com.
3. 5 mistakes when checking Wifi speed should be avoided
In fact, the Wifi speed test is quite simple. However, there are many factors that can affect and slow down the Internet connection, affecting tests and returning erroneous results.
Here are 5 mistakes when checking Wifi speed to avoid:
3.1. Test location, check Wifi speed
To get accurate Wifi speed test results, the location where you place your computer or mobile devices to test may also be affected. If you stand in different positions, you will get different results. In addition, factors such as walls, microwaves, etc. can also prevent or reduce the signal strength of Wifi.
Solution: Choose a suitable test location, ideally place your computer or mobile devices in the same room or the location of the Wifi router to test.
3.2. Perform tests on a slow computer
The biggest mistake that many users make when performing tests and checking for Wifi speed is to do it on old computers or computers using old network cards, not being able to use the Internet speed that the network provider Internet support.
Modern network cards are capable of handling data transfer rates of up to 1000 Mbps. On older computers, the network card was only capable of handling speeds of 1 Mbps to 10 Mbps.
Solution: perform tests, check Wifi speed on many different devices. Then average all the results from the tests on the device to get the most accurate speed results.
3.3. The application consumes a lot of bandwidth
One of the biggest problems that users often overlook when conducting network speed tests is that the device consumes a lot of bandwidth.
Solution: find and close bandwidth-intensive applications on the test device.
Follow these steps to check and close bandwidth-intensive, network-connected applications via Task Manager:
Step 1: Right-click on any empty space on the Taskbar, select Task Manager.
Step 2: Choose Processes tab.
Step 3: Choose Network column to arrange processes in order of using network connection.
Step 4: Save the processes in the top corner of the list, these are the processes that consume the most bandwidth.
Right-click on these processes, select End task to close the process. The next step is to perform network speed tests.
3.4. Internal traffic
There are two types of network traffic that can negatively impact Wifi speed tests, including internal traffic and external traffic.
Solution: Stop all network traffic during the test. Make sure all members of your family disconnect from the Wifi while you are performing the test.
3.5. External traffic
Factors, the impact of your neighbors also affect the speed of Internet connection. This is especially true if you live in densely populated areas where there are many families living close to each other. To limit this cause, you should change the wifi password periodically so that if anyone knows the previous password will not be able to use your home wifi network after changing, how to change the wifi password, If not, you should go to Taimienphi to find out.
Solution: perform multiple tests at different times of the day and week.
By doing the WiFi speed test multiple times, you will get different results, then take the average result, you will have a more accurate overview of your actual Internet speed.
4. Improve Wifi speed
If you find that your WiFi speed is not achieving what you expect, here are some solutions to fix the problem and increase your wifi signal:
– Ensure that the router settings are completely accurate and optimized.
– Fix problems configuring Wifi in your home.
– Contact Internet service providers for assistance.
Above are 5 mistakes when checking Wifi speed to avoid. Hopefully the above article of Taimienphi.vn has provided you with useful information. In addition, if you have any questions or questions, you can leave your comments in the comment section below the article.
Each generation of wifi brings different new features such as fast speed, better experience. In particular, the latest wifi 6 gives you an improved experience to help meet the information technology industry today.