The simplest way to create CSR files and install and manage SSL certificates is to use the utility Certificate Utility for DigiCert’s Windows. This utility allows users to create CSR and install certificates a lot simpler.
Or if you want to create your own CSR, install an SSL certificate on IIS 7, you can refer to the following article on how to create a CSR file and install an SSL certificate on IIS 7 (Windows Server 2008) below of Taimienphi.vn.
Step 1: Create a CSR on IIS 7 on Windows Server 2008
first. On the Start Menu, find and open Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager. To do this click Administrative Tools =>Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager.
2. On the window Connections, find and select the server.
3. On the home page of the machine only, in section IIS, find and double click Server Certificates.
4. On Actions menu (in the right pane), click Create Certificate Request.
5. In the Request Certificate wizard, on the page Distinguished Name Properties, fill in the information below and click Next.
– Common name: Fully qualified domain name (FQDN) (such as Taimienphi.vn).
– Organization: The legal registered name of your company.
– Organizational unit: The name of the department in your company. This entry is usually IT, Web Security or blank.
– City / locality: Your company location.
– State / province: Province / City, where your company is located.
– Country / region: Country / region where your company is located. Use the menu to select your country.
6. On page Cryptographic Service Provider Properties, provide the following information and then click Next.
– Cryptographic service provider: From the dropdown menu, choose Microsoft RSA SChannel Cryptographic Provider (unless you have a specific CSP provider).
– Bit length: From the menu, choose 2048 (unless you have a reason to use a larger string).
7. On page File Name, in section Specify a file name for the certificate request, click the 3-dot icon button to specify where to save the CSR.
Note: Remember the name of the file and where to save your CSR file. If only the name is entered without specifying the location, the default CSR file will be saved in C: Windows System32.
8. Once done, click Finish.
9. Open the CSR file with any editor such as Notepad, then copy the following line and paste it into the DigiCert order form:
—– BEGIN NEW CERTIFICATE REQUEST —–
—– END NEW CERTIFICATE REQUEST —–
ten. After receiving the SSL certificate from DigiCert, the next step is to install the certificate.
Step 2: Install and configure the SSL certificate on IIS 7 on Windows Server 2008
After confirming and being issued an SSL certificate, you can install the certificate on the Windows 2008 server where the CSR was created. Then configure the server to use this SSL certificate.
Install the SSL certificate
first. On the server where you created the CSR, save the SSL certificate file .er (such as your_domain_com.cer) you receive from DigiCert.
2. Open Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager by clicking Start =>Administrative Tools =>Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager.
3. In the Connections table, find and select the server.
4. On the server home page (in the middle pane), in the IIS section, double-click Server Certificates.
5. In Actions menu (in the middle table), click Complete Certificate Request.
6. In the wizard Complete Certificate Reques, on page Specify Certificate Authority Respons Fill in the information below:
– File name containing the certificate authority’s response: Click the 3-dot icon button to find the .er file you received from DigiCert.
– Friendly name: Enter 1 name for the certificate. This name is not part of the certificate, but is used to identify the certificate.
Note: Taimienphi.vn recommends adding a digital certificate provider (CA) and an expiration date at the end of the certificate name. This is to help identify the issuer and expiration date of each certificate, and also to distinguish multiple certificates with the same domain name.
7. Click here OK, got it to install the certificate.
Note: There is a known issue on IIS 7, the error message “Cannot find the certificate request associated with this certificate file. A certificate request must be completed on the computer where it was created” appears on the screen. Or it could also say “ASN1 bad tag value met”.
If this is the server where you created the CSR, you can continue to install the certificate and ignore the above messages. Simply click OK, got it, then close the Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager window and reopen to refresh the list of server certificates.
The new certificate will appear in the Server Certificate list, and you can continue with the next steps.
If the new certificate does not show up in the Server Certificate list, you will need to do one of the following:
– Reissue your certificate.
– Use the DigiCert Certificate Utility to import certificates.
8. After installing the SSL certificate successfully, the next step you need to do is to configure the website to use this certificate.
Assign an SSL certificate
9. On the Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager window, in the table Connections, expand the server name to which the certificate is installed. Then expand the item Sites and click the page you want to secure using the SSL certificate.
ten. In the Actions menu (right pane), click Bindings.
11. On the Site Bindings window, click Add
twelfth. On the Add Site Binding window, select the information as below and then click OK, got it
– Type: From the list in the drop down menu, choose https.
– IP address: From the dropdown menu, select the website’s IP address or select All Unassigned.
– Port: Import 443 (SSL uses port 443 to secure traffic).
– SSL certificate: From the drop-down menu, select your new SSL certificate.
13. So your SSL certificate is installed, and the site has been configured to accept secure connections.
Diagnose and troubleshoot SSL issues
Creating the CSR file and installing the SSL certificate on your IIS 7 (Windows Server 2008) has been successful, if your site is publicly accessible, you can use the tool. SSL Installation Diagnostics Tool to diagnose SSL issues is to look for a solution.
Download the SSL Installation Diagnostics Tool and install it here: Download SSL Installation Diagnostics Tool
The article on Taimienphi.vn has shown you how to create a CSR file and install an SSL certificate on IIS 7 (Windows Server 2008). If you have any questions or questions, you can leave your comments in the comment section below the article.