Table of contents is an important part when you edit text, but not necessarily everyone knows or knows how to create. Therefore, Taimienphi.vn would like to introduce you a good tip on creating a table of contents in Word with the quickest and simplest steps.
User operation Create table of contents automatically in Word This will be done through 2 steps, the first step is to mark the table of contents, to the second step is to perform to display the table of contents and edit so that it is complete. In the 2 steps mentioned, marking the table of contents is the most important, this step decides the accuracy of the table of contents after you move on to the second step, so this step you need to perform correctly and carefully. .
Automatic table of contents on Word
Instructions for creating a table of contents in Word 2019
In this article, we will share with you how to create a table of contents on Word 2019, these actions, you can also apply to other versions of Word such as 2016, 2013, 2010 …
1. Determine the level (level) of each item
Suppose you had an existing document with all the items and pages before you could create the table of contents. In order to select the content to be included in the table of contents, you have to identify the parent (Main subject) and sub-items (Subhead).
Step 1: You select (black out) the content will be in the table of contents.
Step 2: Go to the tab References -> select Add Text -> and then select the level Level fit.
– In the example below, we will select items A, B, C, D as the parent item => so will select is Level 1
– Next to Step 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 will be subsections => and will select Level 2
– Smaller items such as Method 1, Method 2 as described below => will select as Level 3
In addition to selecting Level as above, you can also use Heading Styles available in the menu Home Word is already set in Word to mark the corresponding titles, it will be similar to the one you select Level for the above items. See more ways Use Style in Word here.
The work you identify Level or choose Heading Styles When you execute the command to create a table of contents, the Word application will understand itself and then create for you an automatic table of contents.
2. How to create a table of contents
The important thing above is to identify the Level items after completion, to this step creating the table of contents will be much easier and simpler.
Step 1: You place the cursor in the position where you want to create the table of contents. Normally users will create the item on the first page or the last page of the document.
You can use keyboard shortcuts Ctrl + Enter to quickly move to a new page.
Step 2: Click menu References -> select Table of Contents -> there will be a dialog box appears. Here, you will have 2 options, either to use the templates available on Word (Automatic Table) or manually create the table of contents as you want (Custom Table of Contents …).
In addition, you have other options, namely:
– More Table of Contents from Office.com: Lets you find more templates on the Microsoft Office website
– Remove Table of Contents: If you select this section, you will delete the table of contents automatically in Word.
If you choose Custom Table of Contents, a new dialog box will appear, here, you will have 2 items to note and set as follows:
– Leader tab: Lets you choose a format when you press Tab, None – Nothing, 2 is the dot, 3 is dash, 4 is underline immediately.
– Fomat: Allows you to perform the table of contents style format, you can choose the table of contents template that you see fit.
Step 3: After you have selected the table of contents template to create, this is the result that you have created the table of contents successfully.
3. Edit and update the table of contents
The item creation is complete, but when you change the page number or make adjustments, change the content inside the table of contents, you just need to select the Update Table As described in the image below, your table of contents will automatically be updated, added or adjusted according to what you have changed.
When clicked Update Table -> A dialog box will appear for you to choose the type of editing you want.
The image above is interpreted as follows so you have a suitable choice before clicking OK, got it.
– Update page number only: If you select this section, you will only update the page numbers.
– Update entire table: If you select this section, you will update the title of the table of contents.
So you have just worked with Taimienphi.vn to complete all the steps to create a table of contents in Word 2019 already! The article is a bit long, so the party should carefully review the steps that we guide in the article to determine the level of the Index to index correctly for cataloging – this is an important step. The next step is to create and edit and update the table of contents as simple as possible. Good luck! Also, you refer to the drawing Classroom diagram in Word 2019 here.