Sometimes for some reason your computer is not working properly, or sometimes there are times when you have to boot your computer from an external USB drive, in which case you will need to a USB Bootable, in the article below Taimienphi.vn will guide you how to create a USB Bootable drive with CMD.
There are different ways to create a bootable USB drive. However, sometimes other methods that include different steps can be confusing, or lack of steps can lead to errors. So the easiest and safest way to create a USB Bootable drive is to use the Command Prompt (CMD). Refer to the following article of Taimienphi.vn to learn how to create a USB Bootable drive with CMD.
Before starting, Taimienphi.vn will introduce you some common terms related to USB Bootable.
Some terms related to USB Bootable
– Bootloader Options: This bootloader is responsible for loading the operating system. Sometimes you can choose Bootloader when choosing to install a specific operating system.
– grub4dos: The bootloader package is designed to allow users to choose between multiple operating systems installed on one system.
– syslinux: This bootloader package is quite lightweight, designed to allow users to choose the type or operating system to be installed.
– QEMU Emulator: QEMU Emulator or Quick Emulator is a hardware virtualization tool that helps users check the bootability of the USB drive.
– Cluster Size: Adjacent groups of sectors assigned by the file system are called clusters.
– File System (file system): Control data access, ensure data is copied properly.
– Bad Sector: Is an additional feature that some USB Bootable creation tools provide users. Here the USB Bootable drive is checked for any bad sectors or partitions that fail, after creating a USB Bootable drive.
1. First, you need to prepare an ISO file of the operating system with bootmgr.
2. A USB drive (Pendrive) with a capacity of at least 8GB, depending on the ISO file size.
3. Check if the system supports UEFI. Depending on the system, you can create a USB Bootable UEFI or Legacy Capable drive.
Create a USB Bootable drive with CMD
The simplest and safest way to create a Bootable USB drive is to use CMD. This also means that you do not need to resort to any third-party software or tools.
Follow the steps below to create a USB Bootable drive using CMD:
First plug the USB drive into the computer. Next, open Command Prompt by typing cmd In the Search Cortana box or in the Search Start Menu box, or the fastest way is to press Windows + R to open the Run window and enter cmd on that and press Enter.
On the Command Prompt window, enter the following command to run the DISKPART utility:
At this time, the Command Prompt window will display DISKPART> line. Your task is to enter the following command and press Enter:
The above command will list all the storage devices connected to your computer. The screen will display a list of all storage devices (including hard drives) connected to the computer. Determine the number of the USB drive, then enter the following command and press Enter:
select disk X
In the above command, X is the drive number you find above.
The next step is to delete the logs and all data displayed on the drive. To do this, run the following command and press Enter:
Use the following command to recreate the new primary partition for the drive:
create part pri
After creating the primary partition, the next step you need to do is select it. To do this, use the following command and press Enter:
select part 1
Use the following command to format the partition, show the partition to normal users:
format fs = ntfs quick
Note: If your system supports UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface, replace NTFS with FAT32 in the above steps.
Next enter the following command and press Enter:
Finally, enter the following command and press Enter to exit the utility:
After you have finished preparing the image for the operating system, save it to the root directory of the USB storage device.
Free software to create a USB Bootable drive
Here are some tools and free software to support creating USB Bootable drives that you can refer to:
ZOTAC WinUSB Maker
ZOTAC WinUSB Maker is one of the reliable USB Bootable tool creation tools you can choose.
The salient features of this tool are compatibility with Windows XP as well as higher Windows versions that install the .NET Framework 4.0, simple GUI-based operations, fast operation, x64 and x86 support as well. like UEFI.
Download ZOTAC WinUSB Maker and install it here: ZOTAC WinUSB Maker
Rufus is also another popular tool and software for creating USB Bootable. The software supports USB Pendrive, Key, Memory Stick, …. Like ZOTAC WinUSB Maker, Rufus also supports Windows XP and higher versions. In addition, Rufus is open source software, supporting both UEFI and GPT installations.
Download Rufus and install it here: Rufus
Windows USB / DVD Download Tool
To create a USB Bootable drive using the Windows USB / DVD Download Tool, all you need is a USB drive and an ISO file. First select the ISO file, check the target drive and all other boot settings. Click Next to follow the on-screen instructions and complete the process of creating a USB Bootable drive.
Download Windows USB / DVD Download Tool to your computer and install it here: Windows USB / DVD Download Tool
In the end, it is impossible not to mention PowerISO. With PowerISO, you can create different images from archives or folders, plus you can create USB Bootable drives with fast speed. In addition, PowerISO is portable, requiring very little system resources.
Download PowerISO and install it here: PowerISO
The above article Taimienphi.vn has just guided you through the steps to create a USB Bootable drive with CMD as well as introduced you some free tools and software to create a USB Bootable drive. If you have any questions or questions, you can leave your comments in the comment section below the article. Besides, you can also refer to the way create usb boot to fix Windows errors when needed.