If you recently searched for a file or a folder and you’re sure they exist on your PC in File Explorer search, and no search results are displayed, it’s probably because of File Explorer’s Search feature. inactive. So how to fix File Explorer Search Not Working error on Windows 10? The following article will give you the answer.
You can’t even find the most basic applications in File Explorer search, such as computers or Microsoft Word. It’s annoying that users have to manually locate all files and folders while the search function doesn’t work. The main cause may be the indexing issue or the broken index database or simply the search service is not running. Whatever the reason, you can apply some remedies as follows:
How to fix File Explorer Not Working search error on Windows 10
Table of Contents:
1. Change Search Index.
2. Ensure the Windows Search service is running.
3. Terminate the Cortana process.
4. Add file access rights.
5. Troubleshooting Search and Indexing.
Fix File Explorer search not working on Windows 10
1. Change Search Index
– Press the key combination Windows + R to open the dialog box Run. Then enter the following code and press OK: rundll32.exe shell32.dll, Control_RunDLL srchadmin.dll
– Click here Advanced.
– Choose the tab File Types> Index Properties and File Contents.
– Click OK, got it and press OK, got it Again to confirm.
2. Make sure the Windows Search service is running
– Press the key combination Windows + R to open the dialog box Run. Then type services.msc and click OK, got it.
– Search for items Windows Search, right click on it and select Properties.
– In the section Startup Type, you choose Automatic.
– Please make sure the service is active. If not, click the button Start in the section Service status.
3. Terminate the Cortana process
– Press the key combination Ctrl + Shift + Esc to open the window Open Task.
– Search Cortana and right click on it. Then choose End task to restart Cortana process and resolve the issue.
4. Add file access rights
If the File Explorer search error does not work with a specific directory, then you probably do not have permission to access that folder. To add permissions, do the following:
– Right-click on the folder and select Properties.
– Click on the tab Security.
– If you don’t see the item System In the group or username list, click Edit.
– Click on Add and type system into the text box. Then click Check names.
– Keep clicking OK, got it and close all open windows.
5. Troubleshooting Search and Indexing
– You open the dialog box Run with the key combination Windows + R and enter Control Panel. Click OK, got it to open the window Control Panel.
– Choose Large icons in View by and click on Troubleshooting.
– Choose View all on the right menu.
– Search for items Search and Indexing and click on it.
– Choose Files Don’t appear in search results.
– Continue working with the instructions on the screen.
File Search is a useful feature, is How to find files quickly on Windows 10, allows users to quickly search almost everything on their computer such as documents, photos, videos, system files, applications or settings quickly. If one day, this function is suddenly not working, then you can apply the methods shared above to fix the problem. In addition, you refer to the list File Explorer keyboard shortcuts on Windows 10 here.