Users often encounter the error VCRUNTIME140_1.dll was not found when trying to run a specific program on Windows 10, as well as other versions of the operating system.
In particular, users encounter an error when a file is missing from the system – thus, it prevents the launch and operation of programs that rely on this file. Such errors can create a very unpleasant user experience when using a Windows device.
The VCRUNTIME140_1.dll element indicates that the missing DLL file comes from the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable package and must be installed on the system initially. However, for a number of reasons, these files can be replaced, deleted, or corrupted. Therefore, users cannot launch programs on Windows.
In the article below, you will find methods that will help solve the VCRUNTIME140_1.dll not found, is missing error in Windows quickly.
Solution 1. Install all available Windows updates
Microsoft releases regular updates to fix errors that appear in the Windows operating system, including the VCRUNTIME140_1.dll not found error. See if your computer has any new updates available and proceed with the update process.
Solution 2. Install the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package
Some components in the Visual C++ library may be damaged, resulting in a missing or not found DLL error. Therefore, installing the latest package can help you fix the problem.
Note: If you have all Visual C++ Redistributable packages installed, uninstall them before installing new packages – here’s how:
- Import Control Panel in Windows search and press Enter.
- Go Programs > Uninstall a program.
- From the list, find the package Visual C++ Redistributable.
- Right click on each of them and select Uninstall Visual C++.
- Now, reinstall the packages as explained above.
Solution 3. Manually re-register VCRUNTIME140_1.dll is missing
- Import cmd in Windows search
- Right click on Command Prompt and choose Run as administrator to open CMD with admin rights.
- In this window, copy and paste the following commands, press Enter after each command:
regsvr32 /u VCRUNTIME140_1.dll regsvr32 VCRUNTIME140_1.dll
- Restart the PC and check if the problem is resolved.
Solution 4. Copy the missing DLL file from another location
Since VCRUNTIME140_1.dll is used by some applications and is part of the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable package, it can be easily copied. Here’s what you need to do:
- Press Win + E to open File Explorer.
- Go to tab View and make sure that the box Hidden items selected.
- Now navigate to the following location:
- Here you will find a folder titled as follows (note that 14.0.29231.0_x64__ is a variable that varies depending on the version):
- Here, scroll down and find the file VCRUNTIME140_1.dll – Press Ctrl + to copy that file.
- Now go to the directory of the program you are having problems with, for example, C:Program FilesMozilla Firefox and paste the file with Ctrl + DRAW.
Good luck with your troubleshooting!