So after a period of beta testing and receiving comments from the community relatively carefully lasting many months, Apple has finally released macOS 12 Monterey as planned. This means you can now download and install this new update on your Mac.
In fact, Apple had planned to release macOS Monterey within the framework of the September product launch event along with iOS 15, iPadOS 15, tvOS 15, and watchOS 8, but at the time, this update was still in progress. in the beta period. In addition, releasing macOS Monterey alongside the new 2021 MacBook Pro models is clearly the more sensible decision.
Although still maintaining the same design language as macOS Big Sur, but macOS Monterey has been applied a lot of feature improvements by Apple. Therefore, this is still basically a major OS update and is receiving a lot of attention.
As mentioned, macOS Monterey was released as a beta some time ago, so you’ve probably had plenty of opportunities to experience the new features and improvements it has to offer. So if your Mac is eligible to upgrade to macOS 12 Monterey, we recommend that you install this update as soon as possible.
The number of Mac models that are eligible to be compatible with macOS 12 Monterey is relatively extensive. Here is the complete list for your reference:
- Mac: Released late 2015 and newer
- Mac Pro: Released in late 2013 and newer
- iMac Pro: Released in late 2017 and newer
- Mac mini: Released late 2014 and newer
- MacBook Air: Released in late 2015 and newer
- MacBook: Released in late 2016 and newer
- MacBook Pro: Released late 2015 and newer
In terms of hardware compatibility in general, you won’t need to worry because macOS Monterey will be fully compatible with all Macs that can run macOS Big Sur. You can rest assured to update your system to the new version when it becomes available.
However, it should be noted that some of the cool features of macOS Monterey, such as Universal Control and SharePlay, are not yet ready to use. So you will have to wait until other additional patches are released in the future to experience these features.
To download the update, first open your Mac and navigate to “System Preferences” > “Software Update”. Here you will see the option to install macOS Monterey. Follow the instructions and enjoy what’s new from Apple
Some outstanding new features of macOS Monterey
After launching macOS 11 Big Sur last year with a series of improvements and changes, this year macOS 12 Monterey focuses only on the single goal of continuity. Apple has invested more in some of the new features on macOS 12 to make it easier for you to work and share between Apple devices.
- Universal Control: This is a futuristic feature of macOS Monterey. It allows you to efficiently share the keyboard and mouse across multiple Apple devices with your macOS computer.
Here’s how it works: If you place an iPad next to a Mac running macOS Monterey and move your mouse to the edge of the screen closest to the iPad, you’ll see a new cursor animation. If you keep pushing the mouse pointer to the edge of the Mac screen, the pointer will move and appear on the iPad screen allowing you to use the mouse and keyboard on the iPad.
Apple also revealed that you can use Universal Control to drag and drop files across multiple devices, making it more intuitive and “high” than using the AirDrop feature.
- Airplay to Mac: You can now transfer media content from your iOS devices and iPad directly to your iMac or MacBook running macOS Monterey via Airplay.
- Shortcuts are brought to macOS: The nifty iOS Shortcuts app is coming to macOS, allowing you to set up custom shortcuts and workflows on your iMac/MacBook. You can then run by commanding Siri, activating from the Dock and other areas of macOS Monterey.
If you’re a fan of Automator, you can almost do all sorts of everyday things with Shortcuts.
- Safari: macOS Monterey will come pre-installed with a brand new version of Safari with smaller browser tabs that can be grouped into tab groups. This is a feature that Google Chrome launched last year. The new Safari will also automatically update and sync tab groups on all your devices, so Safari on iOS 15 and iPadOS 15 will also change the interface and support tab groups.
Another cool feature of Safari is that it can apply the color scheme of any web page you’re viewing and change it in real time as you switch tabs.
- Deeper iOS integration: A lot of the features coming to iOS 15 are also brought to macOS Monterey like spartial audio when calling FaceTime and the ability to share a link anywhere to invite participants to a FaceTime call. FaceTime’s SharePlay is also coming to macOS Monterey.