If STDEV.P is a function that returns the standard deviation based on the whole, what is the STDEV.S function in Excel? Syntax and how to use it? Invite you to find out the details in the article below.
Jaw STDEV.S is a calculation function that returns a standard deviation based on a sample, one of the functions in the statistical function group that is very popular when working with Excel.
STDEV.S function in Excel
How to use STDEV.S in Excel?
1. Description and syntax used
This is a function that returns a standard deviation based on a sample, ignoring logical values and text. Standard deviation is a measure of the dispersion of values against the mean.
STDEV.S (number1,[number2], …)
– Number1,[Number2], …: These are the values that you want to calculate the standard deviation, where Number1 is a required parameter, the remaining parameters are optional and contain a maximum of 254 number parameters.
– Function STDEV.S Assuming its arguments are population patterns.
– Standard deviation calculated using the “n -1” method.
– Arguments can be numbers, names or arrays that contain numbers.
– When typing logical values directly and presenting numerical values into function arguments -> these values are still calculated.
– Function error occurs when arguments are text or error values cannot be converted.
– If you want to calculate both logical values and text -> you use the function STDEVPA.
– Equation STDEV.S use the formula:
+ x is the sample mean AVERAGE (number1, number2, …)
+ n is the sample size.
2. Examples of specific situations
Suppose you need to calculate the standard deviation based on a sample of the values in the following data table:
Step 1: In the cell to calculate -> you enter the formula: = STDEV.S (B3: B8)
Step 2: Press Enter -> Standard deviation results based on a sample of the above values are:
Where the values of the elements in the set are text or logical values -> they are ignored:
Above Taimienphi.vn has just guided you with some specific examples when using STDEV.S function in Excel. Use this function to help you calculate standard deviations based on a sample, ignoring logical values and text in Excel. Wish you success using this recipe.
Among the basic functions, the Count function is a function you cannot ignore when you start learning Excel, this is a data counting function that is used a lot when using Excel. Let’s find out more about Count function syntax and usage at the article writing tips on Taimienphi.vn all of you.