File History is a quite effective data backup feature built into Windows 10, the following article will show you how to recover files on Windows 10 with History files.
After setup File HistoryYou can connect an external hard drive to the computer and Windows will automatically back up all files. By default, File History will hold all information for all data files in it Libraries, Desktop, Contacts, and Favorites fixed by the hour and we can adjust these settings.
If you already know how Back up data with File History On Windows 10, then this article, we will show you how to recover those data.
Tips to recover files on Windows 10 with File History
1. Enable the History feature
First connect the external hard drive (USB, portable hard drive …) to the computer. By default File History is disabled so to use this feature we have to enable it. You do it by: clicking on Start menu and select the item Settings
In the window Settings Click on the item Update & security. Next, click on the item Backup
Under the item Back up using File History Click on the option Add a drive and proceed with additional removable hard drive afterwards File History will back up
2. Set up backup options
You click on the link More options To set the Backup File History option:
– Backup my file: By default, File History will back up automatically, but you can reset the time by clicking the arrow icon and selecting the appropriate time period.
– Keep my backups: By default, File History stores backups forever (Forever). You can also set delete backups after a certain period of time such as 1 month, 2 months, 3 months, 6 months, 9 months, 1 year or 2 years. Or you can set File History to automatically delete backup files as needed to free up File History drive space.
– Back up these folders: File History selects backup of important folders on user accounts such as: Desktop, Document, Download, Music, Pictures, Video folder, Roaming folders – where to store application data, OneDrive folders and a Other directory numbers. To add a folder you click Add a folder and select the path to the folder to add. You can also remove a folder to prevent the operating system from backing up again by clicking on the folder and clicking Remove
– Exclude these folders: This option allows you to prevent backing up any subdirectories in the backup folder.
– Stop using drive: When you click this option, you stop the current drive backup process to switch to a new drive and Windows can only backup each drive once.
3. Restore the Backup File
To recover files from an external hard drive (USB, portable hard drive …), go back to the application Settings and select the item Update & security =>Backup =>More options.
Next, you scroll down to select Restore files from a current backup.
Window Home – File History Show available backup files. Click on one or more files at the same time, then click the green button to restore files on the computer. To select a time period, click the arrow or click the boxes at the edge of the window
Above is a guide to recover files on Windows 10 with File History. With this feature, you can completely backup the drive or folder with a few simple steps, it only takes a few minutes to do it right away. Hopefully, this tool will be updated with more and more useful features for Windows users. Good luck.
In addition, on Windows, there are many software support to recover data on the hard drive that you can download and use to retrieve your important photos, videos, documents, one of the software Data recovery support must be mentioned such as Recuva or Wondershare Data Recovery …