If you need an estimate to calculate a sample-based variance (ignoring the logical values and text in the sample), then you need to use the VAR.S function in Excel. To better understand the syntax and usage, please follow the article below.
Jaw VAR.S is one of the functions in the statistical group of functions that help you perform variance calculations based on a sample, ignoring logical values and text in Excel.
VAR.S function in Excel
How to use the VAR.S function in Excel
1. Description and syntax used
This is a function that calculates variance based on a sample, ignoring logical values and text. This function is supported from Excel 2010 and later versions.
VAR.S (Number1,[Number2], …)
– Number1,[Number2], …): The arguments in the whole population that need to be calculated Nmber1 are required arguments, subsequent arguments are optional, and contain up to 254 number arguments.
– Function VAR.S Assuming its arguments are a sample of the population.
– Arguments can be numbers, names or arrays that contain numbers.
– If the argument is an array or a reference, only values in that array are used.
– When typing logical values directly and presenting numerical values into function arguments -> these values are still calculated.
– Function error occurs when arguments are text or error values cannot be converted.
– If you want to calculate both logical values and text -> use functions VARA.
– Functional equation VAR.S was:
2. Examples of specific situations
Suppose you need to calculate variance based on a sample of values in the following data table:
Step 1: In the cell to calculate -> you enter the formula: = VAR.S (B3: B9)
Step 2: Press Enter -> The variance results based on a sample of values are:
– Where the values are text or logic -> the function ignores these values:
– If the arguments are text or an error value cannot be converted -> The function will get an error:
The above share has shown you how to use it VAR.S function in Excel. This is a sample-based variance calculation function (ignoring logical values and text in the sample).
In case, if you need to calculate to produce variance based on entire set, including logical values and text in Excel, then you need to use the function VARPA.Wish you success when working with functions in Excel.