At the event WWDC 2021, Apple has announced a major update for FaceTime, to help it better compete with Zoom and other video calling services that have exploded over the past year. As part of that update, the company introduced a new feature, called SharePlay, which essentially turns FaceTime into a “watch-together” service, and here’s what you need to know about the feature.
What’s special in Apple SharePlay
What you need to know about Apple SharePlay
1. What is Apple SharePlay?
When making a FaceTime call, the SharePlay feature lets you play and share music, watch movies and TV shows with friends while chatting in real time, and share your screen. At launch, it will work with many third-party apps, including TikTok, so you can include all kinds of content in your FaceTime calls.
2. When will SharePlay feature launch?
Apple just announced that the SharePlay feature will not be included with the initial iOS 15 release and will be available in the subsequent iOS 15 update.
3. What can you do with SharePlay?
There are 3 things you can do with SharePlay: listen together, watch together, and share the screen.
– General listening: Let’s say you’re on a FaceTime call with a friend and talk about your favorite song or album. With SharePlay, you can start playing the song under discussion right away. All you need to do is open the Apple Music app, find the song or album, tap play, and select Listen Together. Music will start syncing for the call participants. Everyone on the call can add songs to the queue and then share controls like pause or skip.
– General view: When you make a FaceTime call, you can use SharePlay to start a movie or TV show with friends. Apple calls this a “Shared Content” experience. Just open the TV app or streaming app and hit play. The content will then be synced across your device and shared by your audience.
– Screen sharing: This feature allows users to share their screen via FaceTime, opening up virtually anything for viewing together. From recommending mobile games to helping friends shop online, the possibilities are endless.
4. What apps does SharePlay work with?
Besides Apple Music and Apple TV, SharePlay also works with other popular apps and streaming services, as Apple created the SharePlay API for developers. Apple has said it is working with a number of partners such as Disney +, Hulu, HBO Max, NBA apps, Twitch, TikTok, MasterClass, Zillow, Paramount +, ESPN+…
5. Which devices support SharePlay feature?
SharePlay works on any Apple device, running iOS 15, iPadOS 15, or macOS Monterey (12.0) or later. Whether you’re using an iPhone, iPad, or Macbook, you can enable this feature during your FaceTime calls.
However, according to information that Taimienphi.vn knows, in the iOS 15 update, the SharePlay feature will not be available. For more details, you can refer to the article below.
- See also: The first iOS 15 release will not include the SharePlay feature